If I were a Negative Nancy (who had an affinity for alliteration) I would say that November was NOT a very good month. Here are some of the things that have been weighing heavy on my mind as of late:
- The gut-wrenching election results.
- The Dakota-Access-Pipeline situation.
- My internet provider that is so evil I am convinced Satan himself uses it.
Something strange happened to me this month; the more that I focused on the negativity swirling around me, the worse I felt. I had a shorter fuse. I was more sensitive. I wanted justice for all, but I had no idea how to help (and that frustrated me beyond belief.) Because crawling back into my bubble was not an option, I had to think of a solution Q-U-I-C-K. Here are some of the steps I've taken, so far:
- The Election: I am reading the news, staying informed, and researching organizations that I can align with.
- DAPL: I signed a petition to Obama asking him to do something about DAPL before he leaves office. You can do the same here.
- Satan's Internet Provider: I wrote a lengthy blog post about my disgruntlement. It probably won’t do any good but it sure made me feel better.
The way I see it, we can all either dwell on the negative crap swirling around us, or we can use the tools and skills that we already possess to fight back (figuratively, of course.) In addition, I've also tried something else. I started to focus on all the POSITIVE things in my life. And let me tell you, it's made a world of difference.
- Family: Even though I live on a different continent, I can feel their love and support all the way over here.
- City: I live in a very open-minded city that allows all the misfits and outcasts to feel completely comfortable being themselves (it’s not perfect, but it’s better than most.)
- Female Power: I am so fortunate to have so many powerful females in my life; my hardworking mama with a heart of gold, my kooky grandma who can still do a high-kick despite her aging bones, and all my amazing female friends who make me smile every day.
Here are 3 woman-run companies that I think are badass. Keep them in mind when you’re shopping for the holidays (two of them happen to be close friends whom I greatly respect and admire.)